View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 12:33 AM   #1
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

NV4500 Throw Out Bearing

I did search the forums and could not find a thread that is relevant. I'll try and get to the point but I will give some of the history behind the issue.

Back in December I started driving a '92 GMC K2500 with a NV4500. A couple months ago I started hearing a faint and intermittent metal on metal squeeling sound in the mornings when I was letting the truck warm up. I initially thought it was the belt idler pulley. As time went by the noise got a little louder and more frequent. I then determined that the noise was the throw out bearing which seemed to be lightly touching the pressure plate fingers, while the trans is in neutral. It seemed to be bouncing back and forth, hence the intermittent noise.But at this point, when pushing on the clutch pedal, the noise would stop and I could not feel any indication of a bad bearing thru the pedal. Then a couple days ago the TOB finally took a crap. So now that the bearing is definitely bad and much louder, I can hear that the TOB seems to be turning even when driving sometimes.

I do not have a lot of experience with these factory hydraulic clutches, but the TOB turning when the clutch is engaged, just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I used to have a '90 with the NV3500, that drove for 3 years and did not have any issues with the TOB. My question is, is this normal or is there supposed to be a return spring somewhere that likely is missing in my truck? I am hoping to find a good solution to this issue before I tear into this to replace the TOB. Hopefully it has not damaged the pressure plate.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote