View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #12
56ChevyPu

Re: 4 link Kit for 55-59 Chevy Truck

Well kind of to answer Dan's question of why i'm looking into a 4 link vs. my current setup which are original leaf springs. But the problem lies in the poor man’s way I lowered it, by removing every other leaf which added up to about 3. Well to repeat what Yossarian19 mentioned, I have really bad axle wrap now. I have to really be careful with my lead foot, although the truck rides really smooth with some air shocks if I really lay on the pedal hard from takeoff, I’m sure I will break a yoke. I’m not concerned about hauling stuff because that old truck has been retired from any heavy hauling for about 20 years. Most I load in the bead now is a cooler, spare and a couple of bags depending how far the show is.

I’m really thinking of a triangulated 4 link just to give me the flexibility of dropping it lower in the future if I decide too. Triangulated 4 link avoids the use of the pan hard bar but installing a sway bar is still a good idea if you drive fast or on the hwy a lot like I do. They sale mono leaf springs but from other forums I read that most of them suck and they pull them right out, and I just don’t like the look of traction bars.

So depends on what engine you will install and your driving habits and how low you pan on going. If you never put your foot in it, IMO the setup I have right now is perfect with air shocks. I will try to upload some pictures tonight, the truck no longer looks like the aviator or the link pics, in 2011 I dropped it about 4” in the back and 3 in the front, it’s flat back for now but it is still unfortunately work in progress.

I have gotten some good ideas of what I plan on doing from all the reply’s, appreciate it fellas.
http://public.fotki.com/56ChevyPu/
56ChevyPu is offline   Reply With Quote