View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
nikwho

Re: Best fuel efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
That gutless 305 won't gain you anything no matter how much you try to modify it. That truck weighs 4,500 pounds and you'll have to put your foot in it to make it move. More cubes will gain you better fuel economy as you don't have to mash the gas every time to move the rig.

Gary
I'm not trying to pick on you by any stretch, BUT....
I don't buy this at all. We've all probaby heard this rationalization for years. But, when I look at the most fuel efficient vehicles available, all of these automotive engineers seem to be going in the opposite direction. I think that your assertion is just not accurate. Though, I agree that the 305 is not the answer, but not because it's gutless. It's not efficient. Every vehicle that I've owned that got good fuel economy WAS gutless! It takes more energy to spin a big V8 crankshaft and 8 rods and pistons. I have a Quick Fuel Q-Series 850 carb that says that just because you're pushing the skinny pedal 1/4 the way down, instead of 1/2, it doesn't mean that you're using less fuel. Every V8 I've seen has had a significantly more robust fuel delivery system than any 4-banger I've had. The argument of big engines getting better fuel economy because they use less gas has always seemed ridiculous to me. Doesn't add up. If new semi truck's are going to be mandated to get 7 MPG loaded, this dude can get 30 MPG out of his C10! He will just need to think outside of the box to accomplish it. 10 years ago, I'm sure lots of semi truck drivers would have said that it's not possible to get 7 MPG Out of a loaded big rig. I talking out of my @$$ now, with semi truck fuel consumption. I had heard on the news about new regulations for these tractors/trailers.

I had a 1985 Toyota Hilux pickup as my first truck in high school that was a diesel. It was a factory diesel with a Mitsubishi (I think) 2.5l in line 4 cylinder diesel. I remember at one point in High School budgeting $5 per WEEK for fuel! Granted, I worked at an airport and the aviation fuel delivery truck driver always gave me that last 5-15 gallons of JetA fuel out of the lines in the fuel truck! I dumped a little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in it for lubrication. That truck got insane fuel economy! OP, good luck on your quest! Work on reducing weight and wind resistance, too. Look the stuff that guys are doing in Bonneville to their street cars to increase speed. The same modifications will help fuel efficiency.