View Single Post
Old 08-19-2023, 02:24 PM   #1
slammed57

door seals scientific data 55-59

Well maybe not scientific, but its my data I learned through my observation.
I installed the new soffseals door seals back in pre body work stage. I fought with it like everyone else, (could barley get the first door latch to catch) pushed the truck in and out of the garage for 6 months to let it sit out in the Florida summer heat. It did a little better. but still far from acceptable. so I Noticed that the lower corners of the doors (where the seals did a 90 degree where they bond the seals together) it was like a rock. I can only compress it maybe 1/16 of a inch. So I cut those out on each side, It was a tremendous difference, the doors closed great. But still a 1/4 inch from being flush with the cab. I cut the bottom off of the seals and it was 1/16" off. I then proceeded to split the jambs and brought them out so the door and cab was perfect. I moved on to the body work. I left the doors and seal and front fender and did all the body work as one panel ( came out laser straight) .NOW, fast forward after paint ,cut and polished . I installed NEW soffseals since the old one had body filler and primer all over them. After installed and shut the door of course I had all the same issue. So I cut the 90 corners out and helped out a bunch . I pushed the truck in and out into the sun for the past 4-5 months....helped a little but not much......so I found that cutting the whole seal out of the bottom and it was dead on. You can see in 2 pics below where i have the old seal and new seal side by side and you can see how much the old one shrinks over time. I hope this helps some folks for I would see post after post with this issue......as for the bottom seals . Steele rubber has a whole slew of universal seals, I will find one to fill that void and graff it in with the original seal
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 08-20-2023 at 06:33 PM. Reason: n
slammed57 is offline   Reply With Quote