View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 11:25 PM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Why 67 Axle is loose by 1/8

The truck 12 bolt does not use a pressed on axle/wheel bearing like a Ford 9" does. It is of a totally different design. The axle/wheel bearing is pressed into the axle housing end. So the bearing has absolutely nothing to do with lateral movement of the axle shaft. The lateral movement is due to either a worn spider pinion gear cross shaft or the ends of the axles are not long enough between the outside of the groove for the C-clip and the end of the axle. The issue of the drums not totally covering the shoes is likely due to the fact that someone installed axles for a '71-'82 truck 12 bolt into a '63-'70 12 bolt housing. The '71-'82 housings are 1.5" longer. This is not that uncommon as guys are trying to do a 5 lug conversion on the cheap and just use the axles from a '71-'82 truck 12 bolt regardless whether they are the correct length or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfloyd View Post
I could be wrong about this but i don't think the issue he's describing has anything to do with the type rear end. That lateral movement can only be from the lateral movement of the bearing unless I'm missing something. When the bearing is inserted into the housing, ideally it should be flush with the end flange of the housing. If it's not, you will have lateral movement. That's why you use a 1/8 shim when you bolt the caliper mount and dust cover to the end. That's the thickness of those 2 items and the 1/8 shim kills that out. I don't see how shaft length would effect it either.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote