View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
HEI451
Account Suspended

Re: Check this out-nice little 2-speed fan harness...

Reread it, he wasn't agreeing with me, he was lambasting me because I had a dissenting opinion from his "educated from vendors on the net" information.

Anyone can go to numerous web boards and read where people have bought into the "electric fans make horsepower" myth, and read where an extremely small handful of the conversions worked, for some incredibly few individuals, and the myriad of the rest that now have more cooling problems than they imagined they ever had.

I have a 1991 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, nice car, EFI V6, needs paint, but, a great car. It has a stock electric fan, as the engine is mounted sideways in the chassis. It usually runs right at the 195 degrees the thermostat is rated at, IF the outsider temps are under 100 degrees/F. I took a trip to Carson City yesterday, left early afternoon, outside air temps were right at 106 deg/F. Car ran right at temp of thermostat when it was above 40 mph, but, ran as high as 235 deg/F under that speed, and traveling through suburban Cartoon City. Fan is just fine, sensors, tuning and engine are fine, cooling system is correct, fan/water pump/radiator cap work as they should.

I also have a 1986 GMC Safari van, EFI V6, factory 5 speed, single row radiator, stock engine driven fan, A/C fan clutch, 195 degree thermostat, per specification. It doesn't matter where or when it runs, or how fast, slow, it runs right at 195 degrees, idle, 10 mph, 40 mph, 100 mph.

I have a second small van, 1988 Chevy Astro van, same specs as the GMC, and it came to me with an electric fan in place, with the stock engine driven fan removed. Until I replaced the stock engine driven fan, fan shroud, A/C fan clutch back on the engine, engine would run 205 degrees above 40 mph, and 225 to 230 deg/F under that road speed, all day long.

I am in the process of finishing up the conversion to my 1964 C30 1 ton flatbed as well. It had a 292 in it, that had been run through the mill and blew the rear rod, because the PO just couldn't get it through his head it was a 50 mph truck, NOT an 80 mph vehicle. I replaced the I6 with a 305E V6 big block engine, same radiator as the 292, same fan, same fan pulley, no fan shroud, and am having a real time of it getting the thing to run up to the 175 degree thermostat. It simply doesn't want to run over 155 degrees. My next option is to carefully change the fan pulley diameter/drive ratio, slowing down the fan and water pump a few percentage points. (Maybe I should try an electric fan on the thing, that way, it'd probably run 230/235 degrees, and I wouldn't have to worry about it running too cold).

As I said, when I post something, I do it from hands on experience, and from being a factory engine design engineer for more than 3 minutes, I don't blindly formulate opinions and/or facts from hype con job sales ads and misinformation of others vested in sales.

It's as simple, and truthful as that.

Last edited by HEI451; 07-10-2012 at 11:56 AM.
HEI451 is offline   Reply With Quote