Thread: 47-55.1 Close to disaster
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 08:00 PM   #17
MIKESAD50

Re: Close to disaster

So I agree with every thing that has been pointed out. I figured sine it was the supply out to the pump, most likely due to excessive pump draw.
I got a new relay from Chevy dealer. It fits different years and models for everything from engine cooling fan, starter, fuel pumps, fog lights, etc.
I installed it and drove the truck for a few minutes, everything acted normal and seemed normal. I parked and let it sit and nothing abnormal, all worked as it had. I unplugged the relay and have left it out.
I planned on taking back to the shop and for sure checking for wire chaffing issues, and also amperage draw on the pump. I will pull my receipt folder for wire size. I believe it was 10 gauge to the pump both power and ground. It looks like the same 10 gauge in the relay box supplied by GM with the kit.
The pump sounded normal yesterday after new relay and a short drive. I checked on Aeromotive and they say it should be in the 15-19amp normal draw at 60psi to 90psi. They also recommend 10ga wire.
the fuse is the maxi fuse in 30a and was wired and supplied also in the relay/fuse box
Hope to find something for sure to blame but will be afraid to leave the relay in let alone power connected. I have thought of going to a Bosch style relay that I have been using and has been used for ever. just for piece of mind, and also may need to replace female terminal in box due to the heat, it looks good but slightly melted the box at that terminal and not sure I will be able to get it let alone get it or a new terminal properly seated and locked in the relay box

Last edited by MIKESAD50; 10-31-2018 at 08:20 PM.
MIKESAD50 is offline   Reply With Quote