View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Tigger

Re: The (first?) Chevy Diesel was a Dud?!?

Thanks for the links and images. The engine compartment has enough room for a big diesel as the 4.3l does look small in the large cavity!. Being a purist has it's down sides when it comes to practicality. When I was offered this truck through a past acquaintance, it was because they knew it would be taken care of and not be abused. I have had several people commenting on why I received the phone call for ownership and not them.
I agree the value for a 28 yr. old truck is not that high, but we all know how much it costs to re-build a rusty hulk (been there on my 74 GMC) and since the truck has Character, I wish to strengthen the weakest links. I have already replaced the hydro-static power brake unit with the standard Vacuum unit and now I am pondering putting a vortex in from my friends Suburban. It however needs a modern transmission., I have never really though about the Diesel driveline untill now. Thanks for the info on the Diesels but physically I can't stand the smell of a Diesel, especially in the morning.
I would doubt the Big Block Oldsmobile engine is worth much up here in the Tundra, the Transmission I was told is TH400/Extra Heavy Duty. The Truck has Dual Batteries, and the unique Dash/Instrument lay-out specifically for the Diesel. I find it funny how customers come to me wanting "original" and "as new" when it comes to their treasure and Here i am doing the opposite

Rob Martel
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote