View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Billla
Account Suspended

Re: Best pistons for vortec heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
I'll respectfully disagree with a few of these comments. Compression height is 1.560; the only reason for a "shorter" piston is to compensate for a significant cut to the block deck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tll74 View Post
Thanks for the correction. Although I don't fully agree. It's the "stock production" cheap replacement cast pistons that production shops use and push that all seam to be destroked. This is to compensate for deck surfacing to maintain close to the standard .025 deck height. Again I'm talking about "production shops". I find that not all shops surface decks and if so only a clean up pass. This is what I was referencing to. So many people go in to a shop and have a engine built and come out with less compresion than they went in with.
What don't you fully agree with - isn't what you're saying in bold EXACTLY what I said (also in bold)? If the shop is only taking a clean up pass (.003 or so) and they install a piston with .020-.025 less deck height...then they're installing the wrong piston. Certainly if as you note the piston ends up .060+ deck height someone's made bad choices! As a home rebuilder, it's your job to talk with the machine shop - BEFORE any machine work is done - and determine what the final deck height will be and ensure you know the piston specs. If you don't ask and keep an eye on the specs - and do the math - then it's not the shop's fault...which was also my point.

Last edited by Billla; 03-09-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote