View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 11:01 PM   #30
HomeMadeSin

Re: Inflation and Taxation

I did find some info via a quick search on-line:

I have done it twice, but not in Fulton.

What they do is charge the absolute top dollar value of the car, in show car condition. When you look at the valuation, you will see they are well above Edmunds, KBB and NADA.

You have to pay up front, then file your appeal with the tax assessor. When you file the appeal with the assessor, make sure to note every flaw, ding, scrape, non-functioning switch etc. If there is anything on the Carfax, include that as well.

The first time I had to wait for an agent or assessor to meet and look over the car. Took them a couple of weeks. Second time, I was able to have them look it over right away.

The assessor will submit the review to the tax board for review and if all goes well you will get your refund in about 45-60 days. While the idea is OK, the current execution stinks of a cash grab that allows them to take advantage of people not paying attention. The people that do catch it are forced to pay them the top value up front while they get around to giving you a fair valuation. Would love to know how much they net on the interest alone for these over charges.

I did get a refund both times, down to about what the true values were.

I do understand that some people were abusing the system and claiming they paid $100 for a car that was clearly worth $10K in some instances. Instead of going after the scammers, they decided instead to enact this clever little scheme.

If it pissed you off as much as it did me, then this the wonderful person you have to thank for it:

Rep. Tim Rice (R) Norcross
HomeMadeSin is offline   Reply With Quote