View Single Post
Old 01-15-2006, 10:50 PM   #11
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Freshly rebuilt 700R4- Leaking Input Shaft Seal

If it's any consolation which it isn't My 67 had a 700r4 in it which was built and installed by the previous owner and it had the same problem. He had it pulled and new seal installed three times and it still leaked. After I bought it I had the trans out and had a shop rebuild the front pump and they found a bad bearing in the torque converter. They also told me the trans probably wouldn't last much longer although it was working fine except for the leak. I had the choice of replacing all of it or installing a th 350. Wish they had told me all this before they rebuilt the pump and pressure checked the converter.
My 700 is one of the older ones with the 27 spline front pump but it was plenty strong. I just wish I knew what caused the front seal to leak. I have read about the converter bushing moving out and pushing the seal out so I checked that and it was oK. the front drainback hole was drilled bigger too. I read on one trans website that the only way to keep them from leaking was to rebuild the pump and get a new converter. If I can find a 27 spline converter I might put it in, but for now I'm going to run the th350.
Sorry for the long saga. V V

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote