View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #9
hemi43

Re: valve covers, engine rebuild, other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancelot69 View Post
Well, I don't know anything about vacuum other than if the hoses aren't connected properly it won't run right. However, I have rebuilt a few engines in the past and just made sure the vacuum lines were connected like they were before I took the engine out, although the last time I did that was over 20 years ago.

Is it because I don't know if valve covers will fit from year to year? Or because I don't know about the crankcase pressure? Yeah, I had no idea that would cause oil to blow out the seals.

Seems to me like $83 for a re-ring kit, or even $400 for one of the more expensive ones, is a heck of a lot cheaper than $6000 for a crate engine...
Your engine right now HAS vacuum (assuming PCV isn't clogged), so you shouldn't be building pressure in the crankcase at idle or cruising speeds. To verify that the PCV system is working , try these two things.
First, removed the PCV valve while the engine is running, and verify that there is indeed vacuum. If there is, then put it back in .
Second, remove the oil filler cap on the passenger side valve cover, again while engine is running. With your hand or a piece if paper, cover the hole. You should be feeling vacuum. If you don't, then that means you have too much blow-by and the engine needs rebuilding.
The PCV system should always be able to remove more volume than what gets passed the piston rings (Except under WOT )

The main purpose of a breather is two things. One, it allows fresh air into the crankcase so that explosive gasses don't build up in there at idle or cruising, and two, to allow any pressure buildup out of the engine and back into the air cleaner under WOT when the PCV system loses it's vacuum.
Hope this makes sense.

As far as a crate engine, they are around $2400. There's no way you can do quality rebuild for that much less on yours.
Throwing a set of Chinese piston rings in your engine is only a band-aid, and IMHO is not worth the effort.

Last edited by hemi43; 05-11-2017 at 12:44 PM.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote