View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #21
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Re: 68 GMC suburban 4x4 50th anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
It is all about the location, man if I could beam my stuff to the east coast I could make some bank, but here in the West these are fairly plentiful. Not all AZ/Cali stuff is rust free or in this shape, but it is way more likely here than anywhere else. This thing is a reminder, that I wish hadn't parted with my 68 Chevy, it was the same color with no white, original 327 with original miles, cause when I pulled it out it still had the GM bearings in it! The dude hacked off his ole lady (methhead) left and stole some of her stuff to support his habit, I stopped and she said take it!! I was like what? She explained and I said well I'll pay you for your trouble, I am not the kind of person to take advantage, but I basically drug it home for nada. I see some nice original trucks, Blazers and Subs around here. I just saw a nice ochre 3/4 ton 72 chevy the other day. A bit more rust than this one has, but nothing like back east, rear air, not for sale. That is why I usually encourage members to fly out and get one as opposed to replacing the body on some of these things. With the price of fuel and plane ticket + purchase price it is still cheaper to do than to replace every panel on one. More up front but a savings in the end. Man, the more I type the more I want that thing!!
I live right near the coast so a lot of them are pretty rusted out. This one was more inland. Dry air. They are usually more expensive here. 67-72s where real popular for awhile. But gas prices are really driving the prices down I think. Everyone is buying Prisus's. I tell them buying an old truck is more environmentally friendly than a new hybrid. Its recycling cars not restoring them
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote