View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Re: Big Red, my 68 3/4 ton GMC

Well time flies when your having fun (or really busy), I guess its been about a year since my last update. So I guess I should show some progress that I've had. I've mostly just been driving it as much as I can, but I've made some small progress here and there. Last year I entered the Gold Rush Car Show here in oroville in the "under construction". So I did some cleanup work on it to get in shape. First I lined the bed with some roll on herculiner, it has held up pretty well to the tough use I put it through.

Here is a pic of what it looks like after about a year of use.

I also did some buffing on the paint to make it a little shiny, and sprayed the bare metal floor with some bed liner as well as the gas tank and other bare metal in the cab. It looks a little better and quieted it down a bit too.

Here is a pic of my truck next to my wife's 41:

I also installed a 16" electric fan and got rid of the flexalite flex fan, but I don't have pics of that right now.

Lately I've been gathering parts to swap the rear end over to a 1/2 ton coil rear. I Picked up a 6 lug 3.73 posi from a local yard a few months back, and just the other day I picked up the trailing arms and mounts. I also pulled my bed so I can start disassembling and cleaning and painting the frame. Then I need to paint up the new parts and start bolting it together.

Here is a pic of the parts I've gathered so far:

Here is a pic of the bed hanging as I pulled out from underneath it:

I'm also gonna need to have some exhaust work done when I start swapping out the rear, here is a shot of where the trailing arms will be, to bad the mufflers are right in the way:

So now I need to start looking for some wheels, I'm thinking about finding some 20's or 22's off of a late model to throw on (I know they require some work to make them fit, but you can get them for cheap off CL). Then I need to pick up a kit from ECE for the front. I talked to one of their sales reps and he said I could get the complete 6 lug kit with 2.5" drop spindles that will bolt up to the 3/4 ton tierod ends and ball joints for $999.00. I had thought about piecing a disk conversion together but it was gonna run about $750 for all new brake parts and the drop spindles so I figure I might as well drop the extra $$ and save myself some head ache.

I'll try to keep this thread more current as I make progress, thanks for looking!
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote