View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Re: How many have restored trucks and left their front drum brakes?

The trucks I've restored that had drum brakes I restored with drum brakes. I never had an issue with them, never felt they were insufficient. The few trucks I converted were customized high performance trucks, mostly to say I did disc brakes along with all the other list of performance upgrades.

Anyone who thinks disc brakes stop you in half the distance must have no hands-on experience and, for that matter, have been hearing or reading some bad info. Also, whether you have disc or drum brakes you follow the same safe distance. Maybe those rear-enders in the Power Tour are bozos who think they can follow closer because they run disc brakes.

I know expert traditional hot rod builders who can make a little roadster stop flatter and faster matching up drum brake equipment than a 4 wheel disc car.

Are drum brakes bolt-on better brakes? Yes, and they are a cheap way for automakers to improve brakes. The military likes them for off road use that is the nature of the beast. On deep water or mud crossings the disc brake system is open and retains no debris, requiring no follow-up maintenance.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-17-2017 at 12:14 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote