View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 12:56 AM   #10
68c10airstream

Re: 4.3L Vortec Manifold Gasket Replace/Spider Upgrade

Any of you guys fight getting these motors out for replacement. If its an auto trans my trick that saves a lot of time is this;

I pull the distributor to remove the top 2 bell housing bolts and leave them sit there.

Now this is the best part. with all of the bell housing bolts out and you are about to fight pulling the motor forward and up try this; go to the trans mount and take the 2 bolts that attach the mount to the transfer case adapter, take a prybar and pry the trans rearward until you can thread one of the bolts back into the adapter BEHIND the mount. Now hook onto the motor and pic it straight up with no fight. With the trans pulled back, when you look down from topside you will see the flexplate teeth starring at you.

And when you go to re-install the engine you just set it down on the mounts, remove the trans mount bolt and pry the trans forward and it just falls into place.

In the late 90's early 2000's i swapped many long blocks in the s-10 on a saturday for a flat $500.00. Easy money! But i hate the manual trans's job
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote