View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #21
dsraven

Re: Fuse Panel - Where?

instead of worrying too much about where the fuse panel will end up, spend time to do the wiring correctly, size the wire for the load and use a quality wire, protect the circuits with fuses or auto reset breakers, use proper tecniques for connections, use quality products and connections, use loom and proper tie downs to keep the harness from stress and route the harness where it will not sag and rub, then you should be trouble free for a considerable amount of time. like ogre says, he has barely had to get back into his fuse panel in 8 years of use. don't get me wrong, I wouldn't tuck the fuse panel waaay up behind something, I am just saying to do the wiring well and that will keep you service free for a long time.
do some research on the proper tecniques of doing a connection, whether you solder or use crimp style terminals. do it right the first time and it will last for a long time. if using crimp style connectors spend a bit of money on a good set of quality strippers and crimping pliers. use non insulated crimp connectors and double walled shrink tube to protect that connection, that way you can see how the crimp looks before finishing. double wall shrink tube has some glue inside so it seals and sticks. some insulated connectors have insulation that doubles as shrink tube. they are a bit spendier but do make a good connection and some actually have the crimp section plus some solder inside so when you use heat to shrink the insulation down the solder will melt into the connection and make a good solid connection. tug on the new connection after the crimp to ensure it has actually captured the wire strands well.
here is a home guy doing a quick basic tutorial with some good pointers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5LBf19MqPk
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote