View Single Post
Old 11-03-2018, 05:45 PM   #7
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Re: Air-O carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
No one could sneak up my stairs on me.

Easy on the knees, ey? The problem I see is a manufacturer taking some of the skills and labor required for installation out to promote their product. Putting more money toward the product and less to the mechanic. That is what I have experienced with maintenance-free siding and trim going from aluminum to vinyl. With vinyl they make pre-fab window trim (lineals), eliminating the need to be skilled at break work. Anyone can handle the siding where the aluminum took a special touch. Now more people install their own vinyl and same with general contractors/carpenters who wouldn't touch the aluminum. A lot of crappy vinyl siding put up on houses, but too late for a skilled professional once installed. It's no longer seen as a specialty. Anyone can do it
Anyone can lay carpet in a home or office, but it’ll still take some experience to cut it in and seam it up.
I think the snap and click laminate and now LVP, luxury vinyl plank is sort of the same concept. Geared towards the diy homeowner. I’m still doing lots of lvp but most of it is a full spread glue down. I’m actually considering going to work at a place in the town I live in that builds yard trucks. My knees are good but my elbows, wrists and hands aren’t faring so well. 30 years as my own boss, not sure I can punch a clock. Im glad that I don’t work out in the extreme heat and cold.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote