View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
65shortbox

Re: 65 lower control arm u bolt BROKE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
... Again, thx for shaing such a safety-related issue. BTW: Nice-looking pickup!
No problem, I'm glad this information can go to help others. Thanks for the compliments on the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Yep, I've had it happen on my Suburban twice. The first time I was turning around in a parking lot. The second time we had just got back from a family vacation trip to Yellowstone.....I was backing into the driveway. This is why I always recommend upgrading to the larger '73+ LCA U-bolts whenever someone asks about front disc brake upgrades. When you do install the new larger diameter U-bolts, I would use the steel lock nuts, not the nylocks.

This could really be a bad situation if it happened while driving at higher speeds.
What are "steel lock nuts"? Do you mean regular nuts with lock washers? Or are there actually steel lock nuts I can get at a local bolt house? I agree, this could be bad at highway speeds for sure. Luckily, I have only seen/heard stories of this happening when backing out of parking lots or in reverse. That must put excessive strain on those u-bolts for some reason. Note to self, "don't over turn while backing up", lol....
65shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote