View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 03:42 AM   #17
chevy3100truck

Re: #minijimmygmc Wifey's 1990 K5 Jimmy rebuild

So the Jimmy had 2" lift springs in the rear with 4" blocks when we got it, I know that setup is OK, but I've never liked big lift blocks. Even with the weak 350 in it you still had a bunch of axle wrap when you get on the throttle. So since the axle had to come out to get changed out to the new to me one, I decided to switch the lift to an Off Road Design shackle flip kit.

Before that goes in though there was a whole bunch of scraping to remove the original undercoat from the truck. At least it was easy to get a lot of that cleaned up since it had gotten hard over the years and really wasn't adhered to the frame rails, wheelwells or the bottom of the floor much at all.

lots of piles like this -
Name:  IMG_4073.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  53.0 KB

to get it mainly like this from scraping -
Name:  IMG_4114.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  38.8 KB

then lots of wire wheeling and cleaning before applying undercoat to everything underneath the truck. Before doing that however I ended up replacing most of the inner rocker on the drivers side, after scraping off the undercoat on that side I found some rust, so I figured it was easier to fix it now than to wait until it gets worse. The passenger side was mint however, so it just got cleaned up and painted.

Name:  IMG_4121.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  51.1 KB
Name:  IMG_4122.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  43.1 KB
Name:  IMG_4123.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  43.4 KB
chevy3100truck is offline   Reply With Quote