View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
Nick_R_23

Re: S10 Frame Swap on 47-53 - Would you do it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
There is a place for swapping an S-10 frame and that is when you don't have a decent correct size original frame to start with.

It's 90's tech just as subframe swaps were 80's Tech. I subframed my truck in 1980 and it drove great but I had to hack a lot of inner sheet metal to install the nose. I wouldn't do it again as there are just far better ways to do it.

Too many guys go S-10 because they think it is what the cool guys do or because the guys down at the local hangout tell them that is what they have to do.
It used to be the cheap way when you could drag a dead S-10 out of someone's yard for anything from free to a couple hundred bucks., Now I see guys pay up to 3 K for one off a car lot and then pay the 1500 for the kit plus added money for the extras for the kit plus the money to swap the rear axle and then convert to a 4 link because they want to bag it. They could have got the same results with the stock frame and the right suspension kits for half of what they spent.

One thing that bugs me is that I see a number of S-10 frames for sale on the FB marketplace and Craigslist but always wonder if the seller came by the truck legally. I'd hate to be the guy who spent several k on his build only to have the law show up and impound the truck because they tracked the frame down as stolen.
That’s why I’m wondering if it would be worth it for a full swap. I do NOT want a subframe, I’ve never liked those setups. I can currently get a complete late model S10 single cab long bed frame for $150, and at that price it’s worth picking up and sitting on until I’m ready for it. What sucks is that the kits are about $2,000 to do the conversion. I could probably do quite a bit to my original frame for that amount of money, but the ride and handling probably wouldn’t be nearly as good. The modern brakes, steering, and suspension geometry would be mainly what I’m after. I don’t want bags, 4 link, insane amounts of power, or anything like that - a stock V6, better brakes and handling over factory would be just fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by layinrocker65 View Post
First thing you should do is not listen to someone who’s never done it before.
Exactly why I said “have completed or currently doing one”
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote