View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 02:03 AM   #13
Nick_R_23

Re: S10 Frame Swap on 47-53 - Would you do it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
hey, if you already have the explorer,have lots of tools and fab skills/knowledge, wanna do something not done with an AD before-at least not all the time, then I would say go for it. keep the old frame and stuff until you're done and that way you can always go back, unless you change the original mounts etc. front sheet metal will likely need to be cut up to fit over the explorer frame and suspension but, like joedoh says, you could scrounge up some from somewhere if you decide to go back to the stock frame.
grab a dimension diagram of the old truck and the newer frame. overlay the two and see what sticks out for problems. like you say, a lot of the stuff guys want in their old truck the new frame comes with. is the frame a 4x4 or a 2wd? you mentioned you could swap TO a 4x4. are you looking to lift the old truck or you just wanted the awd aspect of the 4x4 option for towing, stability etc?
I have swapped my 57 gmc on to an 04 gmc envoy awd with stock inline 6. yup, lots of custom work but I enjoy doing stuff like that and it is a challenge. is your explorer a complete running unit or just a bare frame and running gear? for a swap like this it is always nice to start with a complete running unit because a lot of the stuff you need is there that way. it does take some space for storage though.
if you have some pics of what you have top work with that would be great for us to see.
Mine is (was) a 1996-2001 Explorer 5.0 Eddie Bauer 2WD, which included a few of those extras not seen on base model Explorers, but the main upgrades are always present. All of the Explorer/Mountaineer frames of that generation were identical - 2WD, 4WD, and AWD. The frame brackets for front axle mounting exist on all of them, whether or not it was ever utilized. The only change required is to swap out the 2WD spindles for 4WD ones, and from there simply bolt in a front differential, CV axles, and add a transfer case. Not necessarily planning on going that route, but you never know, having the option to do so is nice. Probably not many of these trucks out there with AWD, that would be pretty fun!

I purchased this rig complete years ago, robbed the 5.0 for my 1966 Mustang, the 4R70W went into a Starsky + Hutch Torino, the body was sold to repair a rollover car, and the chassis was being saved for a frame swap project. It may have even been intended for the 1950 AD truck I had at the time...it’s been so long I honestly can’t remember. I do remember feeling a little guilty about parting the Explorer out back then! It wasn’t THAT old at the time, and it was fully loaded and immaculate aside from a slipping transmission. It definitely was worth fixing at the time, lol.

Last edited by Nick_R_23; 06-10-2020 at 02:10 AM.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote