View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #22
fixit-p

Re: BROWN WHITE Striped wire from the Ignition switch Burnt what can cause this?

Those 2 wires are both hot in the run position and I believe cold in the start position, the solid brown is as Richard stated "supplies power to fuses for the wiper motor, htr blower, back-up lights and instrument cluster". The brown with white stripe is the alt field wire and according to the diagram if it were wired in parallel with the idiot light the brown wire that would go to the cluster would be tapped at the bulkhead connector, (just an fyi, I did the math if a 10 ohm resistor were wired parallel with a 194 bulb the resistance would be ~8.4ohms). If it were me I would get rid of that resistor wire and install a new stranded copper 18 or 20 awg wire with a 10 ohm, 6 watt resistor soldered and shrink wrapped. That way even if you were to have a dead short the resistor is going to convert ~19 watts of energy in a very localized area whereas the resistor wire dissipated all that energy along its entire length which you could see is a fire hazard. Imho heat should always be considered, if it wasn't important these alternators wouldn't have fans on them.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote