View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #17
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Installing harmonic balancer on 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm9c1 View Post
Heat is the trick.......Throw the balancer in a PREHEATED oven and cook it for 20 minutes at 200-220 degrees. The heat won't hurt it,.....
Ditto, engine oil on a hot day in traffic is EASILY 220-240° Ideal is a press so your not 'hammering' on the thrust bearing,, but what'cha gonna do if you can't put the engine in a press.

Drilling and taping is a SIMPLE task for your machinist, and really not that hard at home. Just have someone help keep an eye on your entry angle for the first 1/2" or so. What looks like parallel when your leaning into the drill isn't always what looks nice and square to an on-looker standing back with a level perspective.

If your going to hammer it on,,,, Support the crank up against a wall or your engine stand and wedge something SOLID between the stand and the rear of the crank as you 'gently apply pressure' to the hot damper.... with a BFH and a 2x4

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote