Thread: ‘57 3100
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 02:29 AM   #13
'63GENIII

Re: ‘57 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
I’ve been spending so much of my free time and money on some of the loose ends on my K20 that I haven’t been able to do anything with it yet. Hopefully closer to summer I’ll be able to get it in. I’m gonna do an axle swap on my K20 using the axles that came from the K30 frame, once I do that I’ll have the axles from my K20 to make the k30 frame a roller again. Once that happens it’ll be about time to get after it. I’ll shorten the frame first and then start swapping everything over.

I need to find a truck that still has the L29 in it to steal the upper and lower intakes, engine harness from. I’ve got an efi blazer tank already in the truck as it sits now so that part of the swap will be easy. I think I’ll run an 0411 ecm because of the ease of tuning, with the 0411 you can run the L21 and 8.1 coil pack setup which is something else I’m entertaining, I believe that just requires the harness and coil/ignition parts from an 8.1. If I happen to find an 8.1 between now and then that’s what I’ll go with.
I like the COP set up. I was looking into it for mine and think I stopped when I read that I needed the 48x reluctor vs the 24x reluctor that I had on it. Didn't want to crack it open again. The 0411 is a great way to go. Data logging and all. WAY easier to tune. The upper / lower intake is kind of a goofy set up but it works and makes some decent torque. If money was no object, Id try and rock a port injected Eddy manifold or something like that. I really dig the L29 set up though. Been daily driving it since March when my commuter blew up. Hopefully this year I can re pin for the 0411 and get it tuned for the cam and injectors.

Couple of notes... There is an O ring in the main cap that the oil pump mounts too. That lesson sucked,

I couldn't get the stock FPR to work right for love or money. Ended up dead heading it and ran a corvette FPR / filter combo. Solved a bunch of problems!

If you run the stock heads and want to get rid of the non adjustable valve train (if your run other than stock) there's a couple of tricks that I learned the hard way. Let me know.

Many times, boat guys ditch their ZZ502 cams on ebay. They can be had fairly reasonable and I think you can retain the stock rollers and dog bones.

Cloyes does make a roller chain for it. There are 2 different ones. One is for non FI and the other is for the FI. But they do make a single roller for them.

Good stuff. Cant wait to see it come together!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote