View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #28
GoaterAz

Re: Retrosound Model Two Install and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
Here are some photos I took of my Retro Sound install (Retro Classic RC900C). I believe it is the same mounting as the Model 2. The brackets are universal, so you just have to figure out some way to put it together with the parts in the box. I hope this helps others figure it out faster than me.

Wiring was no different than any other car stereo. I got battery power off the cigarette lighter, accessory from power to the old radio, and I added a ground wire to the speaker mount bracket. The dual voice coil dash speaker is connected to the R and L front channel. I put the aux cable through the ash tray so I can listen to MP3s from my phone. With the wiring harness done, I tested the radio before installing in the dash.

I attached the 'InfiniMount' brackets to only the front holes of the radio, slid all the way towards the back in the slots of the bracket. This puts the bracket supporting the radio closest to the dash. Then the posts were attached to the middle slot of the brackets (nut/washer/bracket/washer/nut) with the first nut roughly in the middle of the threads. This determines how far the knobs stick out of the dash. Center them with the holes of the bezel for side to side adjustment.

The third photo shows how I used big plastic washers between the brackets and the bezel. Then the dash goes next. There were some slightly cupped plastic washers that fit the holes in the dash. I used those and a thin washer and nut to attach the front of the radio to the dash. (Note: You will have to make sure the posts stick out of the dash far enough to get a nut on the end of the threads, this may require adjusting the post forward or back. Also, be careful with the bezel, it is easy to scratch going in and out for all the test fitting.)

Now that it fit to the dash, I mounted the backstrap to the speaker mount bracket (also a good time to be careful not to scratch the bezel). Then I cut down the rubber post covers and put on the knobs. Plug in the wiring harness and turn it on!

Disclaimer: This is just how I did it. Please don't take this as the only right way it can be installed.
This helped greatly, thank you for the write up!

I wanted to share a picture that may help others with the InfiniMount brackets (I initially misread the instructions above). You will only be using the two forward-most screw holes on the radio body with only the two rear-most slots on the InfiniMount brackets. Picture below, the top of the picture is the front of the radio.

Secondly, the biggest potential hassle in all of this is the radio-knob post adjustment, the instructions above were spot on! I threaded the initial nut on the post one-thread past half-way and it worked out very well, you could probably do exactly half-way and be perfect.

As stated, be very careful installing the radio to the dash, the chrome bezel is tightly secured in the main radio opening and the corners of this bezel will scratch/chip your paint (mine did on three corners, probably because the layers of paint made the opening 'smaller', nothing a sharpie couldn't fix! LOL).

The $20 screen protector, look fantastic from 5-10 feet away, they are just a thick sticker and not 100% exact the same size as the radio face, nor would stick 100% around the edges, oh well. Maybe I was just expecting too much.

When both knobs were installed, the forward most knobs looked like they stuck too far out and the gap between the front and rear knob felt like it was too much, nothing to do with the adjustment of the posts. Once the rubber post covers were cut down and installed between the two knobs, it looks much more acceptable, I just wanted to point that out.

Thanks again for the write up!
Attached Images

Me neither.
GoaterAz is offline   Reply With Quote