View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #25
VH Coachworks

Re: HOW TO: Install HID Lighting & HID lighting explained

The above post has a lot of good information in it, but also has some misguided info in it. To say that HID's shouldn't be used in any reflector based application is a bit off, and simply not realistic. And I agree 100% with the statement that projectors are the best set up for HID's, and the do a much better job of projecting and focusing the HID's beam pattern, while drastically reducing glare. BUT glare exists in halogen lighting as well, not just HID's. With that being said, HID's are still a great upgrade even in reflector or refractors based housings if you do a little homework before upgrading.

And contrary to popular belief, there are OEM applications where HID's where used in a reflector based housing designed for HID's. I've personally been blinded at night by oncoming drivers with HALOGEN headlights, from headlight alignment that is terribly off. I've been running HID's personally for years, and not ONE time have I been flashed by oncoming traffic at night for my headlights producing to much glare. Again, it all comes down to knowing the facts on how to do something, and taking the appropriate actions.

HID's emit light much further out then a regular (or even upgraded) halogen or incandescent light will. Seeing ANY extra distance at night, can save your vehicle or even someones life. With your increased down road vision you WILL be able to see potential dangers sooner then you could with a light source that did not emit light as far out as say an HID. There could be a deer in a ditch, a person walking along the road, a car stranded along the road with no lights on, etc etc etc and you WILL be able to see that potential danger sooner, therefore giving you a longer time to react accordingly which could potentially save your vehicle from getting into an accident or potentially even save a life.

Do HID's emit more glare then Halogens in a reflector based housing? Absolutely. If the light housing is chosen and is utilized along with proper alignment after the installation of HID's, is the glare unacceptable? Absolutely NOT.

With all the above being said, I will be the first to tell you that a Projector retrofit is the superior set up for HID's period. The HID's will perform better in a projector then in a reflector based housing. I am personally in the process of retrofitting a set of Morimoto Mini H1 Bi-Xenon projectors into my truck. Retrofitting projectors is a tedious process and takes some skill. I will not say that HID's should not be installed into a reflector based housing. If the headlight is aimed within reason, and features a "glare cap" (Which greatly reduces glare regardless of the light source type) then HID's will be give you a great upgrade in light output, as well as giving you a reduced amperage draw on your vehicle.

There are always a few bad apples out there (as there is in every group) that will run a 15000K 55W HID in a headlight housing without a glare shield and have improper headlight alignment blinding everyone on the road, don't let the few bad apples ruin it for the rest of us with the knowledge and courtesy to have a superior and safe set up.

We do not sell any HID's, or Halogens for that matter. Or Headlight housing assemblies either, we manufacture and sell high quality Heavy Duty Headlight Harness's. So it's not like we are trying to persuade people to buy HID's.

I put together this article to help people get a better understanding of a great option for a step up in light output. HID's are a great option for people wanting more out of there headlights.

Thank you for your input on the topic, but please don't try to tell people that they are not informed or being impolite to oncoming drivers if they run HID's without utilizing a projector based housing.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,
Baron with VH Coachworks
VH Coachworks is offline   Reply With Quote