Vic1947

Re: '57 Ford Custom 300 Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
I'm not too late for the party, am I?
Nope, Jonboy, the more the merrier!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
Man I just love these 57 Sedans... A Resto Mod on this would be sweet as hell...
It's more of a semi-resto, Dan, but I'm too deep in at this point to change direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishops Trucks View Post
Watching this long extended build.
This build thread is gonna look like hitting the >> button on a slow moving train wreck video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I'm in too.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
My wife had a 57 Ford when we got married in 1965 and we drove it on our honeymoon. We'll be married 50 years this year and I keep telling her that I am going to buy another 57 Ford and we will relive our honeymoon drive in it. She isn't going for it but 57 Fords have a special place in my memories so I'm interested in following this build. Hers was a Crown Vic four door hardtop that was pretty much loaded for a 57.
You know, Russell, sentiment is the main reason I acquired and stayed with this car all these years. One of my best buds in high school had one and we went everywhere in that thing. Can't begin to tell you how many fun memories are associated with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsAutoParts73-87 View Post
Looking forward to this one
-Sam
Thanks, Sam.

Okay, moving along... I found a place in Seattle that did media and sand blasting as well as powder coating. After back halving the frame, I took it to them for cleanup. Also had them coat some of the parts. Looking back, I wonder what I was thinking with the light gray and blue next to the dark gray. Note the Mickey Thompson rear meats. They eventually dry rotted and had to be replaced without so much as a single burnout. The mini-tubs made plenty of room for them, but I was secretly planning on running drag tires. Years later I put the same size Mickeys on a Chevy truck with a narrowed rear end and a 4/6 drop. Learned how truly unsafe they are in the rain.

Note the rear cross member and driveshaft loop. The idea was to provide a platform for a roll bar and meet safety rules for the drags. Poor planning for a street car, though. No place for the exhaust unless you took it out the side. Most of it is gone now. Mentioned earlier the dearth of patch panels for this car. It's a little better nowadays, but back then only a few people were making anything for old Fords. Tried one guy's floor patch panels but had to return them due to quality issues. So I ended up making my own. In the process I raised the footwells about 1-1/2" which turned out to be a blessing later on when installing the exhaust.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote