View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 08:10 AM   #1
BlouDon

59 Apache 3100 clutch gets "stuck"

My 59 Apache 3100 with the 235ci 6 cyl engine is 99.9% original.

When its been standing for too long (approx 2 months), I find that when I want to drive it again, the clutch does not release when I depress the clutch pedal.

To remedy this situation, I learned to first put it in 3rd gear, then depress the clutch and then turn the key to crank the engine. This would then get the clutch unstuck and I could then drive normally.

But recently..... This method did not succeed at freeing up the clutch. Its been standing too long between drives. I resorted to cranking the engine until it fired up, by now we were moving along in reverse, and then I slammed on the brakes. The idea was to use the inertia of the flywheel against a rapidly decelerating clutch. With a rather loud and violent BANG, this freed up the clutch. Not pleasant.

It is rather humid where I stay and the truck does not get driven often. I suspect that the clutch plate actually rusts itself stuck onto the flywheel and or pressure plate.

1. Is this known to happen with these trucks?
2. Anything I can do to prevent this from happening other than starting it more often?
3. In the event that should neither of the above methods work, would that imply an engine and or transmission removal situation?
Attached Images

Chev: '70 C10 (350 V8 / 700R4 ) & '59 Apache ( 235, 3-sp )
Jensen Interceptor '74: Mopar 440(EFI'ed) / 4L60e
Jaguar: '72 E-type Coupe V12 & '74 E-type V12 Convertible & '80 XJS V12
BlouDon is offline   Reply With Quote