View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 11:00 AM   #4
dsraven

Re: 59 Apache 3100 clutch gets "stuck"

well, thats a first. i usually use grease and a solid punch instead of a hollow socket. maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years.
I gotta say, if the clutch is sticking badly after a short time parked then it would be a good idea to first check all the linkage for problems and if nothing found then it is likely a good idea to have the clutch taken out and inspected/replaced and also have the pilot bearing replaced. check the trans input shaft and the crank bore where the pilot bearing rides to see if there has been a problem there that may have caused an issue. I have seen pilot bearings/bushings that get siezed up slightly and cause shifting iissueswith grinding that seems like the clutch wasn't pushed in when shifting but not so bad they feel like a stuck clutch when starting the engine. curious what the clutch adjustment rod looks like, maybe adjusted a lot to indicate a nearly worn out clutch so the clutch disc friction material rivets are rusting to the flywheel over a short time. thats a very long shot though. does the clutch hold tight or do you notice it may slip a bit under a hard load, indicating it's worn out? are there any shifting difficulties when driving?
if it were me I would pull the inspection cover off and look for visual indicators. if nothing found then pull the clutch, replace the disc, cover and release bearing, resurface the flywheel, check the trans input shaft for wear and the release bearing collar on the trans for wear where the bearing rides, renew what looks suspect and assemble. ensure to check/replace any linkage that is worn as well.
your truck looks awesome.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote