View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #10
Low Elco

Re: A 2-link question-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
TA's or trucks arms triangualte in the center crossmember, and work very well.

What you described is a parallel 2 link, and they work fine. If cruising or profiling is what your after. Due to the bars being parallel there is virtually no twist, and it makes the truck feel stiff if you take corners to fast. Along with a excessive amounts of understeer. Since the rear end will not allow the truck to rotate.

The TA gets away with this by large bushings, and the mythical connection point in front of the truck.

So if your goals are to cruise the truck, and haul trailers. The parallel 2 link will work fine. If you want to tear up some corners. I would save for a TA set up or swap one in if you can find the donor parts.

For the parallel 2 link the longer the bars are the better they comply. So if you can get 3 or 4 foot bars in the truck I would do it. Short one make for more extreme pinion angle changes. Also a fixed trans yoke with a slipper driveshaft supposedly helps out alot. Or I set the trans slip yoke dead center to help stop binding.
This truck won't be a road racer, but will have upgraded brakes (3/4 ton calipers and 2 1/2" drums) and big swaybars in urethane at each corner. Approximately 5/7 drop. I'm more of a Cannonball type of guy, but I do enjoy me some mountain/hilly roads.

Mainly looking for the better ride, ride height adjustability, and lack of axle wrap that T/A's provide.

Not arguing, just thinking through- Is not a leaf setup also a parallel 2-link by virtue of a more or less solid connection at the front hanger to the rear?

A lot of the big diesel guys use ladder bars to fight rotation in the leaves, which is nominally the same thing?

Also, this would also be panharded side/side.

Intention is to use the stock 67-72 T/A length, and move the front hangers forward, which would effectively lengthen the T/A's a tad by pulling them to perpendicular to the rearend, then mount the shocks off the end of the T/A's like the NO Limit kit, and notch the frame and do a long Panhard set level at ride height.

Then again, I might just get lazy and flip kit it and be done.

Thanks for the responses, just food for thought.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote