View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #22
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: A 2-link question-

Hook it to a car, and watch lack of instant center throw a big curve ball your way.

The OP wants a clean look for profiling, and something that works for cornering. To how much, and what state of tune. I am not sure. But he did describe taking it through the twisty's for fun. Yes you rear end rotates along its suspension access, but that is effective for entering or exiting parking lots. Which let's be honest is a very important part of vehicle construction. Having had 3 vehicles that getting in a parking lot was tantamount to crossing the Rubicon. The OP will have a roughly 4000 pound steel, and rubber beast with a as of yet unstated amount of HP. It will live in a dynamic environment where it can, and will be trying to go in up to 4 directions under sprited driving.

I am a function over form guy, and I am the guy with a $7000 motor in a $500 truck or car. Also nearly 30 years ago I read everything I could on Smokey Yunick. So I took to heart on how to modify crap to precision levels. I dated a girl who's dad+uncle were involved in the Baja races, and used to race stock trucks in the Baja in the late 60's early 70's. Which further taught me how to polish a turd to the high luster.

Which is still to this day what I enjoy most about my stupid projects. How far can I polish a stock turd, and get pretty extreme handling out of it to shame people with water cooled credit cards. Over the last 10 years it has gotten alot harder to beat them, but hanging on there ass like a hemeroid still produces the desired results. Of course the diameter of my testicles may have alot to do with how far over the edge I have taken it, and proved my vehicles relevant. Or I have what leading doctors call a death wish. Plus maybe they just can't drive. You can put my mom in a Ferrari, and I will still be 2 minutes atleast a lap ahead of her in a Geo Metro easily. Either way the predictable handling I had from dialing in the suspension worked, and I only wrecked once. Luckily it was over a berm at 60mph on the Glendora Mountain Road, and I flew into the water. Then I had to swim nearly a 1/2 mile to find a place to climb out. Still with a slightly hurt back in a rough California winter. I have gone backwards off the road quite a few times, and had nothing worse then a dented gas tank.

Which is why I have a fetish for LT1 350's, light duty 3/4 ton trucks, 106 lsa cams, suspension seats, long leaf springs, long shackles, and or leaf spring sliders. It allows me to polish turds to the highest degree I am capable, and leave me enough wiggle room.

Not to get in the way of my other fetish's of AK47's, blondes, potatoes at every meal, anything com-bloc or Russian, and wearing either boots or flip flops. I don't even own shoes anymore.

In two of my previous posts I said I used nearly 4 foot bars to good effect with rubber bushings for the kids truck. Getting in, and out of a parking lot was not a issue. Taking corners at a spirited clip was. The suspension would "load" up, and cause serious understeer issues. Where it felt like the truck no longer wanted to turn or change direction, and nearly plow the front end straight ahead. That was at well under 50mph. I took my dirt road bomber truck through there at over 60mph with the AT tires being my weakest link on street traction.

I am referring to dynamic loads, and this is where parallel 2 links go off the reservation fast. Such as driving spirited down a twisty road. Not out for a cruise where they work fine. There is tons of info out there to read on how, and why decisions of design don't work. You have to weed to the B.S., and the guys who will spend $10,000 for no advantage in the way they really drive or can drive.

I have never claimed to be a suspension designer, but I listen to mistakes/lessons learned before me the best I can.

Or atleast the above is based on my readings of suspension design, and things I have read on other forums for opinions. Plus things I experienced first hand, and info I was given first hand by some racers.

We have a wealth of info at our finger tips on how to build stuff. Which has taken my unimaginative self to greater heights of near death experiences. That is if you don't look at the boobies instead.

The parallel 2 link is to limited in ways I only barely understand to bother, and combined with the cost typically. Unless profiling is the goal, and it will be stuck to that goal. For the same effort he could fab in a parallel 4 link which would be effectively just as hidden, and actually not be fraught with compromise. For only a few more dollars. Or go with a factory TA set-up or engineer his own by following the outline the factory already laid out. Its only metal not Solent Green.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote