View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #89
cooperhw

Re: 78 downlow-littledough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
Looks good nice and low. You can lower your engine like I did and save some tunnel work.
Thanks. I am still on the fence on lowering the motor or not. Right now it's got a ton of clearance to both the crossmember and the ground. Gotta raise the tunnel anyways. We'll see. Once I put that T56 six speed in there I will know for sure.

How was welding up that pinch? I need to do mine but haven't crawled under there to take a look at what I need to do.
Welding the pinch wasn't too bad. If you discount the sunburn I got to my forehead when I made the 200 or some tiny spot welds. I also didn't like leaving that remaining pinch with only a 1/4 of material left so I went inside the pinch and welded a 3/4" X 3/4" angle just above for strength. Also nice to have something solid to weld to other that the sheet metal. Probably not needed but I felt better afterwards. I bolted the front clip back on a realized that also has a pinch that the truck was sitting on, so off it came. Much easier to cut and weld it with it laying on the grill. Also took the time to trim off the fender lip. I figure to lay a piece of brake line tubing inside that area to weld to and roll that lip up so it doesn't try to cut the tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Too cool. I like progress.
Thanks. Me too. To tell you the truth, that's the only reason I post updates. To share with those out there (like me) who enjoy seeing progress. For me, it makes me want to get out there and get busy.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote