Thread: Project 67
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #51
Sammy

Re: Project 67

Finished the passenger side. Drum was frozen onto the shoes. Used a sledge hammer to remove the drum. It took that type of action to get it off. Imagine what it looked like inside. Upon reinstallation I thought I was losing my mind. No spreader bar between the wheel cylinder and above the axle. The one that holds the shoes apart when they are not under pressure. That explains why the it was frozen rusted to the shoe/ drum. This would not have been removed if it was on the frame without a torch. Anyway all new parts and salvaging psrts that were missing both hubs are back to being trustworthy. Drained removed the diff cover. Observation form my point of view as everything looks good. Was surprised as the numbers on the tube from a post on the main board claimed it was a 373 posi. By comparison to what little I know it looks alot like every other one I have have ever seen. No evidence of springs or clutch plates visible having me think it is just a plain 373 non posi unit. If so I will just like I've done the others..reseal with some RTV on the untorn gasket and use standard gear weight lub I used before. Otherwise I would have searched for some high priced lub synthetic for posi gears. With the exception of getting the trac bar nut off it is ready for install under the frame. Pics will follow soon..The leaves in the yard are calling my name before the rain tonight. ..cheers

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote