View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
AusTx68

Re: 700r4 Overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64 View Post
Is the TCC/TorqueConverterClutch lockup connected? If not this can cause overheating in 4th-O/D.
TV Cable not set correctly? Too loose?
Material from slipping clutches can plug Filter and Trans cooler & cause overheating.
You can compare the flow at Radiator of the Cooler feed line "upper" to the Cooler return line "lower" to check for blockage. A Funnel with a long hose attached to dipstick tube is needed to prevent low fluid condition. Check with Trans warm, idling @1000rpm no longer than 45-60 seconds running time as return line goes to Trans lube circuit.
Lockup is fine. I have a B&M lockup kit and it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
I agree with SSedan64. But a 700R4 will usually vent fliud when overheated, Is it venting fluid? How do you know your trans is overheating, Are you verifying this with a gauge?

Its a good idea to run a auxiliary transmission cooler along with the radiator mounted cooler in any performance application.
So where does it vent fluid cuz I damn sure have a leak. Also I'm running a frame mounted cooler.

I can tell it's overheating because he hot fluid going thru the radiator is causing the engine to overheat. I only happens when driving in 3r or 4th gear for about 5 miles. Then my temp will climb rapidly. If I throw it into neutral and rev the motor will slowly go down. At first I thought it was my motor which didn't make sense because all the components are new (coolant, thermostat, pump, aluminum radiator). To be certain I swapped out thermostat and flushed the radiator. Same problem.

Today I pulled the tranny for planned maintenance. I've been running a 3000 stall (long story) but today I put in a B&M 2000 stall converter. That should help keep temps down. I was just about done when I broke the speedometer driven gear housing. Tomorrow I'll install a new one along with a new filter then take her out for a road test.