View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 12:30 AM   #375
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

I took the heads to the shop i got the crate motor from. They are tearing them down and will get back me next week. In the mean time I need to drop the fuel tank and find out where it is leaking from. If I fill it above 3/4 I get a fuel smell and I can see signs of fuel on the side of the tank. I suspect it is the seal for the sender, so I grabbed one on the way home from work a couple of days ago.
Dan's Classic Chevrolet has changed hands and locations. Amazingly they have gotten much more convenient for me. I just hope the rest stays the same. Although they no longer stock any used parts that shouldn't be a problem ( they told me who bought all of it). Not that they had much in the way of Suburban stuff.
Started off by wetting the strap nuts and bolts down with some PB Blaster. Then spreading my carpet under the back of the truck I got comfortable and when to it. The two strap bolts came off easily to my surprise. Maybe they have been off before? Anyway I got the tank on my floor jack and removed the straps. The hoses to the fuel fill came off with out any fuss. Which was expected as I put them on last summer, but the suction hose to the fuel pump did not want to come off and I ended up tearing the hose. It too was new as of last summer but it acted like it was 10 or more years old. The stuff we have to use as fuel now days!
Once that was disconnected I raised the rear end with the bags to full and slid the tank right out. I did end up cutting the ground wire for the guage. After getting the tank on a table to clean and inspect I noticed that my leak seems to be from the suction tube being loose in the sender assembly. (Last two photos) As much as I wanted to get it cleaned up and apart the mosquitos were making it difficult to concentrate. So it waits until tomorrow.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote