View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #47
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Re: 53 BURBAN barn find

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
? I've heard rumors but have seen nothing, is there such a thing for a straight axle ?

If I ever go IFS I'd consider a Vette front end kit.
To my knowledge there is no dropped spindle kit for the stock axle, but there are both dropped axle kits in the $350 to $400 range and mono-leaf springs that will bring the front way down.

If I were considering Corvette IFS I'd want to consider the IRS too. Then the practical side of me would realize that there are far more cheap Jags with IFS/IRS on craigslist than Corvettes and I think I'd go that way. Donor 'vettes under $1000 are rare. Jags under $1000 show up almost every time I look.

I say that as a 'vette owner who knows just how well that suspension really does work. However the 'vette stuff is designed for a 3300 pound car with a 96 inch wheel base that is less than three feet tall while the truck is 116 inches of wheel base and maybe only a little heavier but twice as tall. And some of that tall is heavy.

Going Jag instead of Corvette you're getting a slightly heavier suspension design because the XJS and similar cars are a bit heavier (4000+) than a 'vette and I don't think you're giving up any real handling advantage post swap. I'll admit I've not done either swap but I do have experience with both the possible donor cars, owning one and having a buddy who owns the other.

I do think the 'vette suspension is better designed than the Jag. I just don't believe you're going to realize any benefit from that improved designed once swapped under something like a panel or Suburban.

So all of that said, my Suburban is still stock suspended with freshened bushings and pins in the front, a disk kit and a Chevelle rear axle. After eight years I'm still quite happy driving it basically stock with better brakes, Cragars and radial tires.

I have lots of ideas but having a lengthy list of other projects this one isn't likely to be off the road for serious work for a long time.

The day it got the Cragars. This picture is a few years old but aside from moving around the truck hasn't changed at all since.

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote