View Single Post
Old 03-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #10
sfont66

Re: 72 C10 for my 25th wedding anniversary

In the spring of 2017, I removed the engine to clean the 45 years of grease and grime from the engine bay. While the engine was out, I had thoughts of engine and trans swap, I didn’t truly have the funds at the time to do the swap I really wanted, along with all the supporting components. So I decided swapping to better heads was fair compromise. The old 882 heads had small valves and low compression 76cc combustion chambers, hardly ideal, as this truck is a toy, a hotrod. I choose to install a set of Brodix IK 180 aluminum heads, hopefully boosting compression a bit, and letting the engine breath better too.
With the engine at TDC I found the pistons to be .025 in the hole, not great. Using the recommended multi layer head gasket was not going to allow for the best possible piston to head clearance (quench). Research showed others had used the Fel-Pro 1094 steel shim head gasket. I was willing to try it since it provided the ability to achieve an ideal quench of .040.
I ordered heads, Fel-Pro gaskets, ARP head bolts, Comp magnum roller tip rockers. After bolting the heads on I was able to check for The correct push rod length and order push rods. After adding new motor mounts I was able to plug the engine back in the cleaned up engine bay.
The heads helped wake the 350 up quite a bit. Burn outs and tire smoke come easy, still I want more......
Attached Images