View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #466
Old57

Re: 57 GMC, frame swap, 4wd, 454 big block, 4 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
if the indicator on the dash is indicating the right gear and you didnt do something obvious like push the 4LO button on the transfer case switches (which would make it feel like first gear all week), and the valve body isnt plugged, then I bet you will be pulling the trans too.

if you have to pull it, dont swear for like a week beforehand so as to save up all the good ones you will need. those top trans bolts on a 4x4 S10, holy geeze, they are rage inducing. my advice is to either cut a flap in the firewall or get those extra long ratcheting wrenches with the flex ends. I changed an engine in a 4x4 blazer, actually removed it from a wrecked 4x4 for my 2wd, I cut the windshield posts and across the floor and leaned the firewall back to avoid the pain. not kidding! you will need a super long 1/2 extension to take the torque converter bolts out from through the core support after removing the starter.
Well, the Blazer is at the transmission shop getting a rebuild. Should be done in a week or so. I'm glad to not be pulling it!

Back to the regular program... I drove the 57 a little more, and It's doing good. I had shortened the seat tracks about 2" when I was fitting everything in the interior, but now I think I'd like to move the seat back up the 2" I dropped it. It would be a more comfortable position with my foot on the gas pedal. I either need to find another set of 88-04 bench seat mounts to swap back in, or cut mine back apart and raise them up. I could easily make 2" spacers, but I wouldn't be happy with how that looked when I opened the doors.