View Single Post
Old 03-22-2022, 08:37 AM   #10
BASE

Re: BB Swap Using Squarebody Crossmember/Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Very nice work! Can you make a bracket for the Z bar stud to mount off the bell housing instead of the side of the block where it does stock? I have a 72 with a 454 in it and it doesn't have the hole provision for the ball stud like the 396s and 402s do. I'm just going to make a bracket and attach the ball stud to it and bolt it on the bell housing and maybe catch a bolt hole on the side of the block as well. This way you might be able to retain your factory z bar and clutch rods.
Yeah I kinda got caught off guard with that part. I didn't realize until I went to retrieve the ball stud off of the old engine that it was actually mounted in the fwd hole. I kinda forgot the SB's even had a 2nd hole there for the stud. I seem to remember seeing pictures of a bar/bracket spanning the holes and the stud mounted somewhere in between.

In any case, the stud mounting boss on my old mk IV block is still too far aft, by a couple of inches, to line up with the bracket on the frame. So even though I scooted it forward, it's still too far aft and I didn't see that one coming. I've either got to figure out how to mount the ball farther forward, or move the z-bar back. If I move the z-bar I have to modify the pushrods too so figuring out how to move the ball would probably be easiest.

I tried to take some pictures with a scale but z-bar was not cooperating (needed at least 3 hands). I think you can get the idea from these.
Attached Images

'68 K10 496/465/205

Last edited by BASE; 03-22-2022 at 08:39 AM. Reason: pitchurs fell over
BASE is offline   Reply With Quote