View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
w00dst0ck

What's going on with my suspension

Recently added a new Burban to the fleet of c10's, so getting around to fixing some of the ghetto stuff done by the PO. Torched springs, blown out shocks etc etc.

'72 C10 Suburban. 5 lug, long axle with coils all around. But it has a c20 front end (according to the balljoints I need).

Pretty much purchased an entire c10 drop kit with spindles only to find out the spindles and ball joint won't work. Matched the originals with 72 c20 and they fit perfectly. I thought maybe they swapped a 73-87 front end, but they too use the small 1/2 ton ball joints.

I'm really curious how they swapped it to 5 lug, it looks like an original, stock c20 spindle. - I haven't taken the spindle apart yet, but is it possible they reamed a c10 spindle? I guess I could always just have my new drop spindles reamed, or order some Early Classic drop 3/4 spindles. I kind of like the idea of having the heavy duty ball joints, as they were original when I removed them and still good after 45 years (boots torn, and I just wanted fresh joints).

It is a factory 1/2 ton Burban with disc brakes according to the VIN. It has a massive trailer hitch, so I'm assuming they swapped the control arms and such to have beefy balljoints for towing, I'm just really curious how they retained the 5 lug (if they didn't ream a stock c10 spindle).

w00dst0ck is offline   Reply With Quote