View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #72
chewiebarker

Re: 1971 K20 Rat Rod Resurrection

Note on the above pics, I did not polish the headlight surround, and in fact scratched it up with a 3M pad. This is because I will be painting that area black. Also, I did not polich one of faces of the grille because, as I have a 1971, I will be painting that strip/face black as well per OEM specs.

Below is a close up of the grille which shows that the tiny pits are still there (though now whitish rather than black, which is better I think). I can't feel them, the surface is very smooth, but they are visible when very close up. Perhaps I should have sanded the grille before this whole process to attempt to get rid of them. Not sure whether it would have helped. Not going to do it now as I have too much time in to this as it is.

TIP: I ended up picking up a 6" biffing wheel from Lowes for a few dollars. This is because the 3" and 4" wheels I got from HF were not able to reach deep enough into the groove on the grille without causing my drill to rattle off the grille. The 6" wheel gets all the way into the back of the groove to polish it up.
Attached Images

MY 'BUILD' THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618915
chewiebarker is offline   Reply With Quote