View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #62
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Finally knocked out some work on the C10 over the weekend. I spent about 6 hrs on Saturday and 8 hrs on Sunday trying to get the fuel injection pieces and parts installed.

The Holley Sniper is a pretty nice piece. The kit though has something to be desired. They recently stopped including any of the mounting parts to install the throttle or the parts to mount the linkage, etc. I called Holley and talked to them about it. They agreed it wasn't a great decision and offered to send me the "missing" parts. I wanted to use a different style throttle linkage regardless though.

I hadn't realized these EFI's don't work out of the box with a q-jet intake. They are drilled for both mounting holes but the butterflys hit the intake if you don't use a spacer. Edelbrock makes a nice spacer that orients everything correctly.

This FAST bracket worked perfectly with the EFI and my linkage.

I'm still working out whether I can use the TPS on the throttle to run the trans controller. Holley doesn't recommend piggy-backing their TPS but HGM recommends it and says they designed their controller to be used this way. They even make a breakout/pigtail to make it work. So I'm gonna try it and if it doesn't work then Ill figure out a bracket on the Sniper to mount the other TPS for the trans.

Mounted the other coolant temp sensor for the sniper in the front of the intake. It looks identical to the Dakota Digital sensor but I didn't want to try and hack into either harness. So I just mounted it in addition to the other sensor.

I ran the necessary wiring from the Sniper into the firewall through the big opening behind the engine. GMACHINZ supplied me with a grommet for this which is perfect.

Spent most of yesterday mounting and routing the fitech fuel commander. I modified it to be a sump with a full return. Supposedly the unit overheats the way its designed from the factory because the low pressure pump dead heads the fuel and it overheats. So I removed the float and the brass filter in the return so that the fuel continues to flow back to the tank when the fuel commander fills up.

I routed the high pressure line back near the heater box and over the back of the engine into the rear of the Sniper unit. The supply and return lines run down the front of the fender, under the battery and down to the fuel pump and return line. Quite a bit of plumbing to get everything situation but I'm happy with how it turned out.

The wiring for the sniper its not ideal as it has 2 very large connectors that are short distance from the sniper unit. It's all sealed so nothing can be removed or disconnected. Luckily one has mostly optional connections that I don't need. I hid it the best I could behind the throttle. The other I was able to get up and over to the firewall on top of the heater box. I forgot to take any pictures.

I routed the power and grounds and relays under the battery box along with the relay for the fan controller and such. This helps cut down on clutter on the firewall and connections on top at the battery. Sorry the picture sucks

And the "Sniper" with the aircleaner installed. You wouldn't know it wasn't a carb by looking at it. The fuel commander is a bit of a give away. But whatever.

Only thing left really is to mount the o2 bung. I was gonna use the included mounting kit but the exhaust wont allow for it on either side. So I'm gonna have a bung welded in.

I need to find a place to mount the sniper display. I may try and route it in the opening for the left vent. I saw someone here do that and it looks nice.

Once this is finished I can get back on track. I need to get the fender liners painted so I can get those installed hopefully for the final time. I can then get the other fender mounted. I need to remove all the old tape as well which I'm sure will be a nightmare. Ill order the hood here shortly so I can get it painted. Ive been searching for OEM but haven't had any luck. Probably end up with a keystone and hope for the best.