View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: 67-72 frame conversion for 63 Knee Knocker Cab and Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
I recently purchased a 69 SWB frame that is setup for power steering, it has the factory "notch" for the power steering gear box.
My plan is to use it under my 63 truck cab and bed.
Unlike any of my GMC's this frame has trailing arms instead of the leaf springs on the rear. Good for what I am looking to do with the truck
My question is, has anyone in this forum done a conversion of this type, the 67-72 frame for a 60-66 cab and kept a photo log of it start to finish?
I see the rear cab mounts and first few inches of the frame horns are different. Also a cross member that is rivited on at the front is also different.
I have a 5 lug/disk front suspension and I am wondering if there are any 5 lug rear diff's that will bolt in or is buying two new 5 lug axles the way to go?
I have a new digital camera in hand and I will be starting by tacking new frame horns on the front of the frame and go from there.
Just so anyone reading this knows, I have done the adapter bit for power steering and other adapted mods and while the end result was functional, it wasn't what I call pretty or did it look factory.
My aim is to build a clean looking 4 wheeled rocket and have every aspect look factory original whether it was or not.
My 'Recycle' build is based on a 68lwb frame but I don't have specific pics per say of the 'differences':

Front frame horns different height & physical shape
Radiator core support mounts (fore/aft location vs front x-member C/L)
Radiator core support mount height (63-66 core support vs. 67-72)
Front splash apron (specific to post 66 trucks?)
Rear cab mount height

I have seen a pre 67 body on a post 66 frame w/o doing any mods other than cutting the frame horns off (they installed a crude roll-pan). While it physically swapped, you could tell things were not square & were binding @ the mounts. I preferred an OE/professional look for my swap & opted to relocated & change things as necessary.

For the 5-lug swap, I would get replacement axles in for the 5-lug pattern if you know your current rear end is decent. The axle swap is fairly easy (especially vs swapping another housing into place) & you'll have 100% new, zero bearing wear, stronger than OE axles vs. 30yr old axles. Then just get some 71-72 drums from your local parts store.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote