View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Crash_OK

Crash's Roof over Lake House Build

Warning.. Like my 69 K10 build this Thread will contain lots of pictures..

While I am waiting on finding a 1st gen Camaro to build I decide to take on a project that I have been attempting to have completed for the last 2 years (I have had 4 different contractors commit to it, but never showed for one reason or the other). I have a little place on Lake Eufaula in eastern Oklahoma. It has two really nice decks on the back of my mobile home. The problem is in the summers it is too hot to sit on the decks due to no shade and in the spring and fall if it is raining you are out of luck as well. I decided I wanted to cover both decks but did not want to attach the cover to the mobile home in any way. So below is the idea that I came up with. This also help in other areas, like cooling, roof repair, etc..

Model without the metal…

Motel of mobile home only..

All the modeling was done in Google SketchUp.
Below are the before construction pictures.

First delivery of lumber and concrete. ~3000 worth… The 6x6 and 5x5 post were over a third of that cost.

First step was tearing down one of the old decks in the rear and start installing the post that will support the deck.

When I got ready to set the post on the larger deck I found a 2x10 that was used to support the deck was broken. Had to repair that before I started the post install.

Set both corner posts after deck repair.

All four corners on main deck set..

On one of the corner post there was a slab of concrete 16” thick that was used as a runner to support the mobile home. I did not want to jack hammer it out so I drilled a hole in the slab and in the end of the post and installed a 30” piece of ½” steel rod to tie the two together.

Sitting the four inner post were the hardest, tough to dig, lots of crawling around, just hard to get to..

Next step was sitting the rest of the post in the back.. two on the east end..

Then the three in the smaller rear deck.

And then the two on the west end..

Integrating the post into the existing decks was very time consuming and required a great deal of work. But in the end it made the decks stronger and helped tie the post together in the back.

Next step was the front.. Also removed the old red paint front deck to install the new post.. I will be rebuild the front, making it larger..

After that it was time to build the front deck..

I was also able to borrow some scaffolding from a friend of mine… Thanks a lot David…

And also a deck in the back to replace the old one I tore out..

So far I have ~68 hours in the construction across 9 days.. 3 weekends and a couple of days of vacation. .. I hope to take off a couple of days this week as well, so maybe I will have some more progress to show soon.

The next step is the finish putting the decks back together and finish up on the deck railing. After that I will start the process of cutting the post to the proper height and notching each of the post for the doubled up 2x8 headers..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build

Last edited by Crash_OK; 10-14-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote