View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #8
Bryan59EC

Re: 99 Suburban--Axle ratio?

If it doesn't engage, you may have an actuator problem(pretty common) or the shift fork/bushings are worn out in the differential(not super common, but it still happens)

The actuator works just fine---even the old one is working
I went so far to buy a new switch and installed it---to no avail

disconnected it and connected the harness to the old switch and let it hang.

Hanging would engage the actuator, and depressing the ball at the end of the switch would retract it.

I'm thinking that the issue I had with the old TC and with it engaging and retracting at will might have damaged something in the differential.

This vehicle sees 80mph on a regular basis and those are the speeds where the chaos reared it's ugly head.

When I finally figured out it wasn't a bearing, I pulled over and for sport and amusement put it in 4x4-----truck would barely move and was shaking pretty hard.
Not to mention the loud chattering coming from the bottom.

Changed TC (finding one was a bigger problem than changing it) and it all worked fine for a while.

When the 4x4 quit again, I changed the actuator

It worked one time after that and fooled me into a sense of security----till I took the truck out back. HAH HAH

Got back to the house in reverse in 4low (front wheels just going along for the ride) just chugging away at the sand. Took awhile, but I made it----have not taken it out back since.
(uncle bought new)(lil Blue Rocket)

98 Cheyenne EXT cab 350/5-spd
Bryan59EC is offline   Reply With Quote