View Single Post
Old 04-06-2016, 06:46 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Re: I Don't Think I'm Going To Move My Fuel Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
I had a '67 with the tank in the cab and a two foot long streak of missing paint just below the cap. With my 68 the tank is between my frame rails where it belongs, like every vehicle on the road. There is no reason you should have fuel delivery problems if installed correctly. Do yourself a favor and lose the tank in the cab and gain some much needed storage space behind the seat. I used my new found space for a 10" sub, two 6" speakers, two amps, crossovers and all the wiring needed. Just my .02
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkfrk View Post
By moving your tank under the bed, you're utilizing wasted space and gaining space in your cab, win-win in my opinion.
And where does the spare tire go? GM engineers thought the whole thing through and made a place for everything to fit. A lot of paint has been ruined over a $15 gas cap. The only time I've had gas come out a bad cap is when I filled it up right before parking with the driver side down hill. Never had it leak while driving. The seal would have to be way past shot for that to happen. I figure the tank "belongs" where GM put it, and you can put it "where you like" if you want. I installed my first under bed tank in a pickup in '77, so don't get the idea I'm a stick in the mud on this. I also have a new Blazer tank install kit I may use on a truck to suit it's design. I have run great sounding stereos with speakers under the seat. I've driven pickups all my life, dealt with what space is there, and done just fine. Pickup means small cab in my mind. Extended cabs are what they came up with to get car people buying trucks. Car people need more space and want things more car like in a truck. They put skid plates under 4wd Blazer/Suburban tanks for a reason. Ever have a tank punctured while off road somewhere? Ever have that happen going over a rock creating a spark? I've seen it happen and the charred remained my still be out there, yet. Definitely a reduction in safety factor moving a tank up under the truck over leaving it safe in the center of the truck surrounded by a cage. The reason tanks were moved up under the truck along the frame rails is because they came out with the crew cab. Tanks had been in cabs all along up till then, in all makes and models.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote