View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #10
gokellurself

Re: Kell's Two Cents - 1946 build

So today I have some rookie woes to share with everybody and how I went about trying to fix it. I'm amidst a self administered crash course in small block Chevy's, as the only thing with a carb I've ever worked on was my CR250... so this has been a little interesting

A buddy had come upon a 350 tbi with a 700R4 and let me have it on the super cheap. Only problem was he had already gotten into it and tore it all apart. Part of our deal was he could keep the fuel injection system. As I had mentioned before, I want to build an OLD truck, and for me that means carb and as little wiring as possible.

At the time I had the heads out getting cleaned up is and was setting the motor mounts. So with just the block, serpentine and distributor I go about setting the engine with a mere 1/2" behind the distributor. Essentially as a result of research, I had gotten to the conclusion that if I clear the distributor I'm pretty much good to go.

So all is well and I'm happy. I used the website small-block-chevy.com/assemblyspec.html for specs and watched videos each step of the way.

It wasn't all the way until I go to install the valve covers that it dawns on me that I had an issue. The heads on SBC's are actually "offset", with the passenger side sitting about 3/4" farther back than the driver's side. I took a photo in which you can somewhat tell

In this photo you can see with clarity the difference

And sure enough, this little bit makes it impossible to slide the valve cover on the passenger side. Driver side was just fine, passenger side a no go.

Last edited by gokellurself; 07-21-2017 at 03:32 AM.
gokellurself is offline   Reply With Quote