View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
Jayman931

Re: Ignition Coil Resistor Wire Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewr101 View Post
Frankenstein is correct, an HEI distributor has to have a full 12volts to operate at its best. The resistance wire should be taken out and a new, correctly sized, wire ran either from the junction block where the resistance wire was coming from or from the Ign.Unfused port on the fuse block. The distributor wires and rear lighting wires shouldn't be together up on the cowl gutter I don't believe. If I were you I'd trace out the rear light wiring from the tail lights to the junction block on the firewall to make sure they're ok. Then trace the distributor wire back as well. They might be in contact further upstream where they come thru the firewall.

I installed the HEI myself. I connected the power to the HEI directly to a constant 12v wire near fuse box.

The resistance wire is still connected from the ignition to the starter, correct? Wont I still need it (or a ballast resistor) or the starter wont disengage when the engine fires up?

Last edited by Jayman931; 08-17-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Jayman931 is offline   Reply With Quote