View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Summit Lowered suspension shocks

I've asked the question and it has been answered and I took the advice of another member who said that Summit has a good shock for the rear of my truck.

My situation is a combination of ingredients...DJM suspension 2/4 drop. Then, I added BellTech upper shock mount relocators to the rear, to restore the angle of the shocks and get a better ride. It was better, but I also had a problem with it bottoming-out on rough spots in the roads. So, the advice was to use the Summit shock.

In calling Summit Racing and asking about the shock that the website said to use, the sales rep said it didn't say it would fit a pickup, just that the shock was correct for a '95-99 Tahoe/Yukon. Okay. The shocks on the rear of my truck were spec'd for a 95-99 Yukon/Tahoe. When he and I were agreeing on that factor, I placed my order on Wednesday of this week.

Today, the UPS man brought my new shocks. So, I had them installed. The shocks feature the eye on each end, with the rubber insert in them. However, there's a couple bags of sleeves to use to make the shock hook up with the attaching points. Yep, you gotta do some assembly. Trying to push the upper end mounting piece caused the rubber to push out of the eye. A little more "english" and it finally goes together.

Removing the old shocks showed the new ones to be 4-inches shorter than the old ones. When the right side was put on, it had to be compressed very, very little. The left side? It was spot-on for length. What this means is that there is no extension of the shocks, as installed. The purpose of the shocks that I ordered is to eliminate bottoming-out. These are a twin-tube design and that is there intended purpose.

I'm proud to report that they don't bottom-out. I'm satisfied that the $30/each price is an okay value. The invoice listed them as "Sport Truck Lowered Shock". Go figure. The part number for anyone interested is SUM-G7726.

In case anyone had a question....I hope that this will answer it.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote